Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Wreck of the Hesperus

This is a childrens book from 1968 by Morris Walsh.  It is NOT to be confused with the poem of similar title by Longfellow...

"Such was the wreck of the Hesperus, In the midnight and the snow! Christ save us all from a death like this, On the reef of Norman's Woe!"
 No, this book is about an adorable little car that is filled by a family of 13 children who enter and exit the car in alphabetical order.   Which, sounds cute until you consider the level of OCD their poor mother is experiencing in order to enforce this bizarre requirement.

So, Hesperus, the car, is neglected and abused and all but one flat tire shy of the junk yard until the town doctor buys him and sticks him in the garage and "tinkers" on him until he can barely stand it.

But one fine day, the garage door opens and a completely re-built, restored and revitalized Hesperus putt putts his shiny, bad self through town.  And nobody recognizes him!  He is so very different from the broken and decrepit former self that he is virtually unrecognizable.

And the retelling of this story this morning led me to this observation.  Warning... Deep thought approaches...

Have I ever confused being sidelined with God putting me in the garage for a bit for a massive restoration project?

Just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. I remember my mother reading this story to me, it was one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favorite book when I was a child. Somewhat deep messages in the book....I loved and still love automobiles, and hate when people abuse or neglect them. The same with their children, family, pets, etc.....anyway, great little story!

    ReplyDelete